Tuesday, January 27, 2009

day 5: hockey

this daily task takes twice as long in simply selecting which 1 photo to upload, so I'm uploading three tonight.  I didn't have my zoom with me when I came upon this scene tonight, or I might have captured more detail.  I've noticed the way some modern compositions use more inert expanses (in this case the ice) almost like fill or white space, placing their diminutive subjects off in the background.  My results at trying this feel a little too much like point-n-shoot snapshots by parents on the sideline.  Not sure what the guidelines are for that kind of composition.





Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. A charming scene!
    Regarding the use of expanse - I love the look, especially when the expanse is beyond the subject. This gives the subject more attention, but still gives the feeling of space. Portraits especially do well with this. By setting the subject off to one corner of the photo it creates movement with a still focus - and the satisfaction of seeing detail in the subject.

    ReplyDelete