Friday, January 30, 2009

day 8: just 'cuz



They put the flowers close to the check-out at our grocery store, and I wanted something to bump my single item purchase in order to use the debit card, so...Sharon's luck.

Light-wise, this is still pretty flat. Till I get the flash trigger I'm in a bit of rut, wanting to use off camera flash for its ability to transform my otherwise greenish lit apartment with too cheap compact flourescent bulbs, but unable to temper the flash while in slave mode. So I'm going to go ahead and buy the Cactus V2 flash triggers.  Jesse, what sorts of tricking out did you do to yours to make them better?

Also I've been curious: where on your 285HV does the PC connector plug in? I'm looking at mine and haven't the foggiest (it's an original from 20 years ago or more). Not a problem, it plugs in using the hotshoe. I just wonder why it's not obvious and thinking that may be a feature from a newer model.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Another flash trigger option (and the one that I use) is the elinchron skyports. A whole set is the cost of one pocketwizard so it's about half the cost... just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 285HVs (and all the others, as far as I know) have a "Vivitar" connector.

    Like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jahu/1408904496/

    Each of mine came with a cable that had a PC connector on one side, and this special connector on the other. Even though it is not the standard PC style, it's common enough that you should be able to find a replacement. I think flashzebra is one recommended vendor.

    I would love to upgrade to either the elinchroms or the pocketwizards someday. Like I mentioned in one of my last posts, the Cactus triggers are misbehaving yesterday and today.

    I extended the antenna on the transmitter, and the range/reliability has been sufficient for hobbyist use. I loose about 1/100 shots.

    Remember that there are 2 versions of the v2s receiver depending on whether you are using on high-trigger-voltage (usually older) or low-trigger-voltage (usually newer, meant for DSLRs). The transmitter works with either, but you'll have to keep them straight if you have 1 that works with the Metz and one that works with the Vivitar.

    Happy to provide more detail if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately the Elinchroms don't work with Vivitar strobes made in the last 3 years, according to B&H. Mine's from the 70s, but I'm still a little hesitant. (Have to check the sync voltage). Would work with my Metz, but still, the outlay's not cheap even at half the pocket wizards' price. So I plummet back into another quandry...

    ReplyDelete