Wednesday, January 28, 2009

day 6: off the wall

  

Thank you Strobist and Jesse from Bend!  The boots picture is the happy first fruits of the off-camera flash technique that's bounced off the wall.  Unfortunately with my setup, the on camera flash has to fire in order to ignite my Metz flash off camera, but I was able to stop the on-camera flash down to  -2.0 AND cover the majority of its output with my hand, so that made it reasonably mild as a fill light.  Now I wish I could up my shutter speed past 1/180s in order to tone down the room instead of closing down the aperture and losing bokeh.  Already shooting at 100 ISO.

Poll: would an off camera flash be annoying if deployed at a potentially dark roomed superbowlparty?

The second picture seemed apropos to the day's title,  and the darn mistaken white balance setting gave me such a nice cooler tone, I decided to keep it. 

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I really like both these, Seth.

    Are you sure that you're seeing ambient in the first photo? Try the same exposure with both flashes off. (Actually, that's a great exercise to get the ambient just where you want it, then start adding flash). Looks like one big soft light source from behind the boots, which I guessed was the wall.

    But really, these are both great. Good eye(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about ambient light -- I think you're right, though the only other light source in the room also happened to come from the same direction as the flash-lit wall. So you're saying set the shot up as if I didn't have any flash at all, then add flash to infill? I still think my flash is so powerful I'm having a hard time roping it in. This was 1/60s at f/4, ISO 100, bounce flash EV-1.0.

    Incidentally, I never pointed out something about my "fast 50" that might have been worth consideration: because it's a standard lens on a digital body (with a smaller sensor than regular 35mm frame) it's actually the equivalent of a 75mm lens. Now you understand why I feel suffocated? Why all my pics lately have been snug and detailed?

    ReplyDelete