Sunday, February 8, 2009

day 17: alice in stripes


IMGP7027, originally uploaded by elbowclarke.

I may post quite a few strobe balancing photos going forward, because I'm totally addicted. This little lady was a pleasant model despite having an unpleasant stomach bug. She's in a somewhat dimly lit, late-afternoon setting by a north-facing window to her right/front, a dining room light to her back right, and my remote triggered strobe almost immediately behind her on the piano (ceiling bounce).

Once again, I didn't get many shots that I was pleased with today because my moving target was so often out of focus. But one thing I learned is that my success was better once I turned my Select Focus dial to Center-focused, and then turned the AF to single focus (instead of constant). My buddy Chris (Alice's dad) reminded me I could center focus first, lock it in, then re-frame the shot. That's so much faster and I think more dependable than using the focus selector tool to move the red dot focal point around the screen to where I want the focus to be.

2 comments:

  1. Great shot! A very well-lit, natural capture of a "snapshot" moment.

    I always use the center point on my camera, and then recompose. I've never understood how someone could move around the AF point while trying to take a photo. The 40D has a separate AF button which can be setup as the only focus switch (so that half-press of the shutter button only meters the photo) This has been GREAT, as I can focus and then not worry about holding the shutter as I recompose.

    Another benefit of the center point (on some cameras) is that it is a better sensor. On my camera, it actually has better sensitivity at low light and at larger apertures.

    The only case I've seen for switching back to "cloud" mode where the camera chooses a point from all available points is sports photography. Haven't tried it.

    I'm really enjoying your work and your enthusiasm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that button too but never understood its added utility! Just thought it was redundant, but now I'm going to use it. Great suggestion, another helpful improvement.

    I've also discovered my camera has a button right next to the shutter release that automatically resets exposure settings and adjusts the appropriate exposure while in manual mode. It's a nice way of getting "in the ballpark" quickly, and then using the e-dials to fine tune.

    ReplyDelete