Thursday, February 5, 2009

day 14: nearby shops


IMGP6753, originally uploaded by elbowclarke.

I broke away for lunch to take pictures at the bikeshop, but gladly stumbled upon another neighborhood goldmine.  But damned if I didn't mess up the focus under pressure in my eagerness to get the flash/lighting right!  The barber was a little unhelpful too in that he kept posing and looking straight at the camera.  Nevertheless I'll keep trying,  because the challenge of peopling my pictures is too rewarding!

Of course, bikes are still cool too...


IMGP6727, originally uploaded by elbowclarke.


IMGP6749, originally uploaded by elbowclarke.

IMGP6739, originally uploaded by elbowclarke.


IMGP6737, originally uploaded by elbowclarke.


IMGP6742, originally uploaded by elbowclarke.



2 comments:

  1. My goodness you are really taking great photos. Plus you're 100x braver than me to be taking lit shots of strangers! Definitely an area I need to step it up, because I see great people shots, but chicken out.

    Nice lighting in the shop. Ceiling bounce?

    I think the yellow tag shot is my favorite, but am impressed by your eye in finding the shot with the multiple colors of water bottles.

    Nice, nice work.

    And yeah, Batman is a co-worker who I challenged about 1/2 hour after getting your email. I've got a couple other coworkers dabbling, but none as regular as the three of us.

    This is SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, definitely the bikes were easier subjects! I actually had to go back to the barber shop a second time because the first time I went they were just finishing up and with no more customers, so I continued on to the bike shop and came back to a full house! (I told them I was doing a photo assignment.) But I'm kicking myself, as I say, for losing my head a little. I did bounce the flash off the ceiling, and I thought I was getting good light results. But my focusing leaves a lot to be desired.

    The bike shop was empty and easy, but as you can tell, we've got a lot of snow to discourage bikers lately.

    ReplyDelete