Friday, February 13, 2009

day 21: new religion?


IMGP7167b, originally uploaded by elbowclarke.

Three weeks, and almost without fail -- I can't think of another hobby I've picked up with such regularity in recent past.

Today's photo was during a hard freeze after a few days of warm, sloshy thaw.  A lunchtime meander brought me to a fantastic old shingle-style Gothic revival chapel near my office, and the condition of the white-washed shingle courses was befitting of the day: weathered. 

Couldn't quite decide how to crop the photo, so I've posted an alternate on flickr.

I like really desaturated palates for winter, but they're hard to get right. This one still feels a little rose colored.

One more frustration: I don't think I can rely on Picasa anymore as a direct viewer for RAW files -- it's the reason so many pics turn out grainy, because it's stretching out the histograms to brighten the dark photos.  Still, the Pentax software for developing RAW files is asinine.  Any free software out there that does a better job?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're enjoying the daily blog! I definitely did and I'm thinking of starting up again. You might want to check to see if gimp does RAW files (free) I don't use it, I use trusty Photoshop... but I did want to say that even with the best programs pushing the exposure (brightening dim photos) will still bring out the grain. Shoot for nailing the exposure... tough but SO worth it for crispness!

    ReplyDelete