Saturday, February 14, 2009

day 22: my brown eyed girl


IMGP7243, originally uploaded by elbowclarke.

This was fun. I read about this "heart shaped bokeh" technique on my friend's blog last year, and the opportunity to try it myself became available with the new fast 50 lens. The technique is simple and plain neat in its concept, but I found that the fixed lens made the execution of the actual shot to be quite a challenge: In order to really blur the background, you move your subject as far from the dangling christmas lights in the background as possible -- done -- and you use the closest focal range possible on the lens. Unfortunately the closest point in my fix lens would be less than a foot from the lens -- too tight for a portrait like this. Very frustrating, because I could see that if I had focused on something closer to my lens the hearts would be nearly double the size that you see here!

But alas, I had to fit in my brown eyed girl, so smaller hearts it is. Lesson learned: I think this would work easier with a fast and wide telephoto lens.

Works on street lamps and car headlights as well!

Here's a bonus picture from this afternoon.


IMGP7266, originally uploaded by elbowclarke.

No comments:

Post a Comment